A university campus is a vibrant environment that brings together students, the community, and visitors to share knowledge, ideas, and opportunities to gain a better understanding of the world around us. However, wherever there are large gatherings of people, there is also the risk of crime. At UT Arlington, we take your personal safety very seriously, and the UT Arlington Police Department is here to protect and serve the students of the university. The UT Arlington Police Department is a nationally accredited police agency responsible for providing law enforcement, security, and education about campus safety for students, faculty, and staff. Throughout the year, the UT Arlington Police Department puts on a number of programs to help students learn about how to protect themselves and their valuables, including RAD: Rape Aggression Defense, H.E.A.T: Vehicle Theft Prevention, Operation ID: Textbook and Electronic Device Registration, and Bicycle Registration. Additionally, services such as the UTA Shuttle and the free Maverick Escort Ride ensure that students may travel safely and efficiently around campus.
UT Arlington Police Department
Tips to Protect Yourself
To help protect yourself from crime and theft, it is important to always be aware of your surroundings and to use common sense when considering personal property. Remember never to leave your property unattended, whether in a classroom, the library, or your residence hall. Keep emergency contact numbers programmed into your phone just in case you need to report any criminal activity, and follow these simple crime prevention tips when on campus:
- Look around and be aware of your surroundings when you enter or exit a building.
- Always tell someone where you’re going and when you expect to return.
- Avoid walking alone at any time. Call for an escort or find a friend to accompany you to appointments or to your car. If you must walk alone, be alert and aware of who and what is around you.
- Avoid shortcuts and stay in well-lit areas with other people around.
- Carry your personal belongings in a backpack or bag that will enable your arms and hands to be free at all times.
- Do not post your whereabouts on social networking sites or places where people might be able to follow you.
- Always lock your car, apartment, or residence hall room when you leave it. Never leave your apartment or hall room door propped or open when you are away from your room, even for short periods.
- Hide belongings in your car when you park.
- If you see any suspicious activity or persons, contact the UT Arlington police right away via your cell phone by calling (817) 272-3381 or by using one of the blue Police call boxes across campus.